Sunday, November 4, 2012

My first ever sweater


It’s finally done. This is official. My first ever knitted sweater is completed. I’ve been intimidated by lots of sweater patterns at Ravelry at least five years and finally got enough confidence after successfully finished my first and wearable skirt and decided to challenge myself further. Can you believe that I waited ‘five years’ to attempt something I’ve always wanted to knit? What’s wrong with me, seriously? Why wouldn’t I try first anyway? I am not a girl that worries of making mistakes. I still don’t know what kept me from trying sweaters that long.
 
 
I tried to choose my first sweater simple yet lovely enough. So once I finish it hopefully I get more inspired and ready to try something more advanced. There are just little too many lovely sweater patterns at Ravelry. I ended up with screening down to thirty candidates and finally chose one guy that calls for the yarn weight similar to what I already have. (Yes, I have yarn stashes I must let go of to get new fresh ones if you know what I mean.) So, here it is: the simplest sweater I found and yes, it IS simple.  
 
 
So, now you ask how was the actual knitting? I don’t know where to start but one thing I can say is the process was unbelievably easy and purely enjoyable. I was a bit concerned about attaching arms and finishing up underarms since I’ve never done before. However, they were way easier than they sounded. The pattern was pretty clear and easy to follow. The yarn did absolutely wonderful job as you see. I simply admire the texture and the colorway the yarn generously created here. I cannot believe this is my first sweater I've tried ever. It looked so beautiful and stylish that I got great feedbacks already. I still cannot believe I waited this long to dive into this rewarding and enjoyable knitting.
 
 

Here’s a takeaway from this amazing experience. Be brave and do try anyway to see if it works for you or not. Without testing you would never know what you will get! Now I am off to knit my new jacket with even more comfidence! What's on your needles?   
 
 

21 comments:

Yarnspider said...

Congratulations. You first sweater is fabulous. May it be the first of many.

Morning Rain said...

You did a beautiful job on the sweater and the yarn choice is lovely!

Unknown said...

The yarn is lovely--and so is the workmanship.

Wear it with pride--and never again think of the delay getting started--just go forward and take pleasure in your achievement.

Evelyn said...

Once you finish your first sweater, you won't be able to stop knitting them! Congratulations - it's fantastic!

Solstitches said...

Your sweater is so lovely and looks wonderful on you.
Congratulations! There will be no stopping you now
Margaret

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful and you did a great job! My first sweater(s) were nowhere near as successful lol.

Mairin said...

It looks great! May it be the first of many!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Well done :)

Dame en noir said...

yeah!! congratulation, it's a great job! (and it fits very well to you, too). I guessthis one is the first member of a big family of handmade sweaters :-)

Magic Mammoth said...

Congratulations and well done! It looks amazing :)

Val said...

Job well done on the sweater! And your skirt is lovely too. You have beautiful craftsmanship in everything you do!

A friend from Ravelry (valuliana)

Sussie said...

Congratulations on your first sweater. It's beautiful! You should try a raglan pullover top down, it's easy too, and there are a lot on ravelry.

Love your needle rolls too, they are so special.

BTW: I started knitting at the age of almost 60 and cannot understand why I didn't try it earlier.

Keep on doing such wonderful work!

Sussie, a friend from ravelry

Mauno said...

Nice work. Congratulations.

Mauno, a friend from Ravelry

Snowspirit said...

Wow! That's an awesome sweater! Love your choice of colours and yarn...will add that one to my favorites! From a Ravelry friend

Vihervaaranneli said...

Your sweater looks really lovely, lovely colour!

Anonymous said...

beautiful job, I love the color!

lilirious said...

beautiful sweater! Great job! :D

JoanPipp said...

just beautiful; I love the colours!
Now I'm thinking to go and learn
how to knit too.

Tzugumi said...

I love it, it's simple and elegant at the same time and how I like the colour!

Robellas atelje´ said...

Me like !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful skirt and I love your sweater!! Congratulations!