Saturday, July 28, 2012

Handmade fair in Seoul, Korea


Everybody is having a lovely summer? Hope you guys stay cool and happy! It’s been a pretty busy summer for me since ‘J’ left for his own vacation to mountain Kilimanjaro. Missing him, working on new lines for the next season, starting on knitting projects for coming autumn, cleaning up my little atelier before the busy and hectic season launches, and cooking something healthy and refreshing for myself (ssshh~ I am on a fabulous vegi-diet while he is away. I will introduce this next posting.). Anyway, while I was a busy bunny there’s something I’ve been waiting forever: handmade Korea fair 2012. A handmade boom arrived here in Korea a few years ago, but still not so many people are familiar with its concept. This event could help people get to know how fabulous it is! 

Today, this happy bunny was hopping down to the exhibition center with full of excitement. First of all, look at this! Isn’t this cool? A bracelet style entering ticket!

 

Finally, I am in! There are so many things to explore. As a sewer, knitter and crafter of little bit of everything, I couldn’t resist all the vibes those little goodies sent forth.  

 

This is one of things I’ve wanted to learn so long: Korean traditional knots. Terrific vivid color combos and gorgeous texture created by knots are just my style! Wait a minute! Now I remember I grabbed a couple of how-to-knot books a few years ago. Where have they gone? Oh, well, time to check out my junk box somewhere at my atelier before I forget again. 


I knit something either practical or wearable. So there’s one kind I’ve never tried yet: knitted dolls. I’d like to wow them and talk to them (only when I am alone!), but I’ve never thought about making them by myself. This time, I found some booths full of knitted or sewn dolls. Those are amazingly adorable and cuddly. I purely felt cozy and calm when I hold them. Now I understand why babies long for those little creatures and knitters are tempted to make them. So, I took some of class information sheet they handed out. And… what a coincidence!! One of ateliers is just right around my neighborhood where I used to pass by. Obviously I knew the shop! I’ve been wondering about the owner of the shop and I’ve just found out! She is a kind and friendly lady and very informative, too. I might stop by her atelier soon or later to learn how to make little lovelies~







This is one of the biggest artwork I met at the site. A wooden piano. How fabulous! Not sure how it sounds like, but at least it is looking just beautiful and I hardly believe it is handmade. Must’ve taken lots of time, energy and talent!


Those are handmade (decorated?) wedding cakes. Gorgeous western inspired cakes got lots of attention from visitors. The last one is one of my favorites: small yet lovely. The subtle color is a plus!




BTW, here I want to share a few more cakes I found at the other bakery show a few weeks ago. Those demonstrate how Koreans decorate cakes and I guess you guys might be interested. J




Do you know what these are? I will give you some hints. You cannot eat them, yet they smell refreshing and delicious. They will melt on your body and make you feel pampered. Those are soaps made of ginseng and mushroom in a shape of traditional Korean coin money. I am wondering how I feel when I take shower with money ~ J


Here’s another Korean style artwork: Korean traditional quilts. Isn’t this similar to western one? Maybe the fabric we are using is different, but I think they are equally beautiful!


Finally, this is the place I took almost forever to wow and take some photos: Doll houses. Again, I’ve never been into doll-related things before, but who knew that I might find another wonderland today. Look at those tiny stuffs! Elegant details and constructions. I wish I could shrink myself and be a litte bunny in the middle of the photo and then live right there making all those fantastic things mine!! (I know, I know I am greedy. .. you can call me ‘piggie’ now.)







Wow~ someday could I have a closet like this? (hope 'J' is reading this!) Well, these might be more than I need, or not? J


Anyway, exploring little houses is really fun as well as inspiring! However, what I really liked was this!!! My simple and forever joy: knitting!


So, did you enjoy my little story? I had a fun time recalling my visit while I am writing the post. My brain is busy for processing lots of new ideas and inspirations I got from the exhibition. Now time to return to my little atelier and get to create something pretty!

Have a marvelous summer and enjoy your crafting~ 

XO, 

Soyun.

10 comments:

RobinBrz said...

That was so much fun - and fascinating! I love seeing new things and I'm so taken with the work that is traditionally Korean. I'm sure you're just bursting with ideas for new creations. I'm not much of a doll person either, but it's so easy to fall in love with the beautiful miniatures. Thanks so much for showing me things I'm sure I would never otherwise have a chance to see!

Elisabeth Andrée said...

What an inspiring environment, Soyun! The ideas will be buzzing around in your head. How wonderful that you take photos and that you share them with us. Such colors and shapes, beautiful to see! Thanks for this post!

My One and Only said...

This is such a cute and pretty post! Thank you! I love all your pictures and the story. Doll houses are something my kid would rave about for months! Thank you, Soyun!
And your veggie diet - Mmmm... yumm!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this experience! I can only imagine how inspiring this was. It reminds me of the One of a Kind Show that I attend in Toronto. I know after I come home from there, I'm just buzzing! :-)

Carleta3021 said...

This was so much fun-thanks for taking us with you & for all the lovely photos!

nikkislipp said...

Hi from Ravelry! Sigh, I wish I were in Korea, I would have gone to the fair! I don't usually follow miniatures either, but I am in awe of people who do them. Did you see the post on miniatures at the "Constant Crafter blog" today? Reminded me of your post and thought you might like to see it (I won't link, since your blog might think I'm spamming). I'm like you, I want to learn EVERYTHING, but I usually stick to textile/fiber arts. I love the pojagi the best :)

YPatria said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. Truly amazing art.

Angela :o) said...

That was such a fun tour, thank you!! I wish I was there to go to next year's fair.

Take care
Love, Angela (From Ravelry)

Unknown said...

There is so many cute stuff ond your blog! I follow you

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.