Saturday, September 22, 2012

A new skirt for a lovely season~

 

During the summer, I started to knit this simple yet stylish dress to wear in the fall. I’ve never tried a skirt or a dress in my life so was a bit nervous about the sizing and adjusting a gauge at the beginning. What if it is too big or too small for me? Do I have somebody I can give in case it doesn’t fit me? Etc… But, it is just a skirt. It wouldn’t eat me, right? So, I decided to go for it anyway.

I am not sure when I bought this yarn exactly, but I still remember I got a great deal. The colorway wasn’t my favorite, but the yarnshop was doing a ‘buy one get one free’ promotion with this particular yarn made in Japan. I felt it is a waste if I didn’t buy any and got super greedy ending up with buying 2 packages. (which means 4 total packages (40 balls!!) I know I am sick. I have lots of yarns and fabrics to work with. But, still I want more. Please don’t tell me I am alone. I am sure many of you have the same disease. J  

The colorway is pretty interesting: Mainly black with hints of neon yellow, neon pink, and neon green. This wouldn’t go with fancy texture knitting since the texture wouldn’t show off clearly, but could work well with subtle and big texture. I wanted to have a dark-colored yet not too plain skirt, so I guessed this yarn would work nicely with the butterfly skirt pattern. (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tinas-skirt)
 
 
 
The pattern was super easy to follow and the yarn was pleasant to work with. I got a bit bored about half way because of the unlimited repetitions, but once I got used to the pattern I was able to enjoy the mindless knitting. I hoped the lacy bottom of the skirt would have more flares after blocking, but I am pretty satisfied with what I got now. I thought this piece would look casual, but it turned out to be classy as well as stylish. The finished size is slightly tight, but since the yarn and the pattern are nicely elastic it fits perfectly in my body shape. The waist line turned out to be a bit bigger than I planned, but elastic band worked out very nicely making the dress comfortably fit my size. 
 
  
Overall, this is a lovely and easy skirt you can try out without any previous experiences. Even if you make mistakes with sizing I am sure you will fix it pretty easily without a big modification. The style goes with any kinds of shirt or blouse so you can wear anywhere and any occasions.  
 
 
 
After finishing this project I got to know the yarn better and liked it even more. So, what I am knitting with it now? An easy and cozy cardigan I’ve been dreaming so long. I am a cardigan lover, but never had started one before. Completing the skirt gave me a huge confidence (Yes, it is so strange. This skirt was not hard at all, but after I finished it I got my knitting mojo back and I am on fire now.) and I finally have a gut to start something big I haven’t tried yet. So this is what I am doing now. I saved this cardigan pattern at least 3 years ago and now finished a body piece and one sleeves. Hopefully this can be ready to wear by the end of Sep. It would be a perfect weather by then and I am so excited to show it off~ 

So what are you busy for? You’re enjoying your knitting, crocheting, sewing, and other crafts in this wonderful season? I hope you find your own joy from what you’re making and share with me. Have a creative and cozy season and most of all, be happy with what you’re doing. 

Take care,
Soyun.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute!

Windybrook Spinner said...

It is fabulous, stunning, perfect. Congratulations on such a great knit and good luck with the cardigan. I'm working on a blanket, some Christmas stockings for a couple nieces, and looking forward to starting my own cardigan soon.

Misty said...

I like it! Just goes to show how a particular pattern can make the yarn look good, and vice versa.

I am currently working on a pair of socks, four sweaters, and dying, carding and spinning more yarn! So, I must agree that you can never have enough yarn.

Anonymous said...

How pretty! I'm hoping to finish a few projects for this season as well. Too much yarn?...more like never enough :)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!

Elisabeth Andree said...

Stunning skirt! I'm also hoping to finish a few projects.... at the same time. Silly me:)

Unknown said...

That skirt is amazing- the combination of color,texture and drape is on point :) awesome job!

AnnaPrasad said...

Wow, this looks amazing. What a gorgeous skirt. It looks amazing on you!

Susan in Michigan said...

Soyun - Your skirt is beautiful! Well done! And I'm with you...I can never have enough yarn. =D

jackie said...

DHi there, you got yourself a good deal !

The skirt if beautiful, in nice colour tone, and i must say .

You know, i have always see you either put a heart or comments in RA's knitter finished project, hardly see yours.

Now, i finally see your knitwear being posted up, congratulations. Keep on coming...

steph said...

skirt is PERFECT!!! perfect color---perfect fit!!!

H said...

Wow - that skirt is absolutely amazing. Well done - it looks fabulous!!

blondgaijin said...

Such a cute skirt! I am adding it to my list! Thanks for the inspiration!

Frances Clements Fawcett said...

Hi again - wowzers! I love this skirt - you did a fantastic job and it looks beautiful on you. Congratulations! I echo what everyone else said, and yes, it's on my list of things to try.

Cheers to you!
Frances

Frances Clements Fawcett said...

Hi again - wowzers! I love this skirt - you did a fantastic job and it looks beautiful on you. Congratulations! I echo what everyone else said, and yes, it's on my list of things to try.

Cheers to you!
Frances