Monday, April 23, 2012

Not-so-‘Korean’ yarn shop


I’ve always wanted to introduce you ‘Korean style’ yarn markets I usually hang out to get my craft materials. Many of my foreign knitter friends get very curious and ask me often. “Do you knit in Korea? What kinds of yarns do you use? Where do you get your pattern books?” Well, actually Korea is just like the Western world now. Unfortunately not so many things Korean I can show off. We knit (I guess knitting in Korea has been considered to be granny’s hobby, but it gradually found its renaissance recently.) and have some pattern books (some in Korean, some Japanese, and some western languages) in the book stores. We have a few yarn shops offering various yarns and notions from all over the world. So, I can say knitting in Korea is getting more popular as well as international. By the way, there’s a huge craft market in the center of Seoul that you might want to check out (Don’t worry. I will introduce you this interesting market not too much later. I promise! J)


Today I am going to take you to a lovely yet not-so-Korean yarnshop. A few days ago (well, have to admit it is not a few days anymore.. it’s been a few weeks now. I know. I need to be more diligent for blogging. I am working on it!) I visited this well-organized as well as well-known yarnshop’s house warming party. This shop called ‘banul story’ (http://www.banul.co.kr ‘banul’ is a needle in Korean) has been one of the famous yarnshops among knitters and crafters in Korea. Originally located in Myeong-dong area in Seoul it moved to near Ewha women’s university in Sinchon area recently. 

Being extremely excited and thrilled to explore this new shop I couldn’t sleep the night before it opened. Getting up ‘amazingly’ early (such a night owl as I am it was a huge devotion I made that morning.) and feeding myself well to survive a long and busy day I headed to the place I’ve dreamed of. You could’ve seen me doing happy little dances if you were with me on the way to the shop. J





What a joy! My friend and I turned out to be the very first guests. The shop looked great already yet they were busy for working on some of the final touches. The owner of the shop opened the door for us (Do you see the doorknobs looking like knitting needles? How creative!! I seriously wanted to grab them and run away with. What a naughty girl I am!) and warmly welcomed us. Yay, I got overly emotional and felt my small devotion of getting up early totally paid off at the very moment.




Look at the inside of the shop full of fun and lovely treasures. Colors, shapes, and textures of those goodies grabbed my attention instantly. What a great collection they got! I desperately wished I could live in the shop playing with all of blingy knitting needles and crochet hooks, gorgeous-colored yarns, and cool knitting notions. Do you see these itsy- bitsy buttons? How adorable! It seems like they were waiting for me to pick them up. Those would go perfectly with a baby sweater I am currently working on.  



I already own many sets of knitting needles, but I decided to indulge myself with extra thick knitting needles I’ve been looking for. (As a gift, I received another small-sized circular needle. Wow! Isn’t that amazing?) As many of you understand (hopefully) we knitters do never own enough yarns, needles, and knitting notions. As a serious sewer, I also collect lots of fabrics and always long for more. I know, I know. I need to control and discipline myself. But, those little luxuries inspire me and excite me all the time and I should admit they work exactly like ‘vitamin’ to me. Oh, well, perhaps the most expensive vitamin I could ever take though.


Now, here’s a fun part of the shop. There’s a lovely knitting café on the 2nd floor. (Sorry, I was having so much fun enjoying the coffee and the interior of the room that I mistakenly forgot to take photos of the café.) But, I assure you that this is the heaven of the knitters and crocheters. I really hope you make a trip here and have fun and enjoyable time with your fellow knitters. What would go with knitting better than good music and savory coffee or tea? ‘Knitting, coffee, and music’ altogether sound so right, don’t they?



I purely enjoyed this day at the fabulous shop. It’s always a pleasure to find beautiful and interesting crafts shops that make you dance. I wish I could open my own atelier just like this someday. I will invite all of you guys and throw a cool party on opening day. Hopefully you can make it and celebrate with me dancing together! It will be wonderful to see you from all around the world!



So, now I am wondering how your local yarn shops look like. Similar to the one I’ve just introduced? Or, do they have any cool personalities? I am sure you have your favorite yarnshops in your neighborhood you’d like to share with me. Or, you might have fantasized your own dreamy yarnshop? If so, please don’t be shy and feel free to leave a comment. Who knows? You can inspire me and I might take your suggestions when I open my own shop later. 

Oh, one more thing before I close. As many of you already know, I am doing a giveaway celebrating my blog renewal. I hope you’ve already checked it out and participated in. If not, you still have time so please take a look. You can be the one of those who will receive the adorable pouches. It will end Apr. 23rd and I will announce lucky winners shortly after. 
http://www.atelierdesoyun.com/2012/04/returning.html

Thanks for visiting and supporting this new journey. I am so excited to see you real soon.

Have a happy and crafty day!

27 comments:

Jonathan said...

I can picture your excited 'little dances' walking towards the shop... :) Great pictures - looks like a really fun place - not just a place to shop, but cozy and enjoyable to hang out and spend an afternoon. I'll have to go there for sure! Good luck with your baby sweater and of course your shop too! Music and coffee will go great! Looking forward to the next post!! Keep up the good work! Go Soyun!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh what a beautiful shop! I would have been doing a happy dance too. In fact, I did the same thing when our LYS opened about 7 years ago. Paper was still covering the windows but I peaked in thru a tear and ooooh & aaaaaah ed when I say a long table down the middle of the room with chairs all around it. "A place to sit in knit & talk & knit some more with friends". I've been there every week since. Enjoy you new store! BTW, that knitting cafe sounds glorious!!

colombette29 said...

your "baby surprise jacket in wonderful !!
One day, I shall knit one.
I like very much too the shop with wool-balls. A dream !!!

Evelyn said...

Thanks for showing us a little part of your world! Your LYS is stunning -- what a treasure.

Ellen said...

Oh it's wonderful, I feel like I was there! I want to touch all the goodies!

Thank you so much for "taking me" to Korea, and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Scotland on my blog in return :-))

Mrs Twins said...

Oh what a delight to see your shop. I couldn't get over how tidy everything was! What a dream! I'm catching the next flight! :) joke....
Love Sue 'SIBOL'. X

Anonymous said...

Yammy description!So good selection of needles and yarn! I came back from Hong-Kong with 4kg wool 3 years ago. If I go to Korea, I have to take a big suitecase with me!
Good luck with your projects! Angelica.

Windybrook Spinner said...

Beautiful! I think a cafe connected to a yarn store is heaven on earth. Every yarn store should have one. My favorite little LYS is a darling cottage on the owner's property. It's small, but very inviting and close to my house. It opened recently too and I could hardly contain myself I was so happy.

planethalia said...

Thanks for your kind comments on Ravelry! I look forward to future blog posts. Your other post about your local yarn store was great, and I look forward to learning more about the knitting community in Korea!

Kenyetta said...

I'm sorry I missed the contest but that yarn store looks AMAZING!!!

Keri said...

What a lovely store. I found the yarn stores in Hong Kong to be a very different experience than that. It's nice that you have such a great place so close to you.

Fru Keilegavlen said...

Nice blog you have. I love it! I would love to visit this store. All the yarn and the beautiful buttons. WOW!!! Wishing you a great week.

...Fabricole said...

Incredible!
We do not store it like that at home in Switzerland!

A. Maramba said...

The pictures look amazing! I am extremely jealous. When I lived in Boston I found a cute shop, but I had almost no money as a college student and a poor grasp of crocheting and knitting.

Right now I've moved back to my home in San Francisco, but again, as a post-grad I don't have much money. There's a shop here called ImagiKnit, but it's not as welcoming as Banul.

Last thing -- I found you through your comment on Ravelry, will be following you and saving up for something from your Etsy shop!

Day - NyLA Love said...

O - M - G !!!!!!! If I ever walked into a store like that, I would DIE of excitement! My husband would need to take away my debit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for stopping by at my website.. and for the comment. (^.^) Nancy was one of my favorites. :)

Mommyx4 said...

beautiful shop! I wish I had known about it when I was in Seoul a couple years back. my Korean isn't good enough to find a yarn shop; and even if I could ask in Korean, my mother was sure anyone would think I had pronounced something else wrong, b/c who would be asking for a yarn store on vacation?

Anonymous said...

What a great shop! I wish I had something like that here. Where I live there aren't many yarn shops and all of them have their yarn behind the counter so you can't touch. Drives me crazy!

Your handmade stuff is beautiful. :)

Jen da Purse Ho said...

This yarn shop is so beautiful! And I LOVE the door handles! I would want to run off with them too! hahahah!

Hazelnutholic said...

HEAVEN!....Look at those yarns and Hooks and cute Buttons and.....i'm so jealous :(

Jessica said...

This shop looks amazing! So much bigger and brighter and different than the yarn shops here on Jeju. I found your site through your ravelry account and am so happy I did.

I'm actually living on Jeju right now, and next weekend will be in Seoul. After seeing your review and all the amazing photos of this shop, I really want to go. Do you have any directions, or an address for the shop? I get really lost every time I'm in Seoul.

I look forward to reading the rest of your blog and seeing your future projects :)

Soyun Park said...

Hi Jessy,

Thanks for your interest and encouragement for my blog. So much appreciated.
You can find the shop very easily if you're in Seoul. Simply take the subway line #2 and take off at Ewha women’s university and take exit. #6 and walk straight about 50m (about 3 mins.)
Hope you have fun and have a lovely time over there~

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for the information! I can't wait to visit this shop, and am so happy you made a post about it. I'm really enjoying reading your blog :)

julia said...

Hi there i tried to find the shop today but was unable. Has it changed locations? Or did i go the wrong way? Should i go straight from exit 6, or take a left out of the exit and walk the other way? Also, do you know if the ewha location is open on sunday? Thank you!

Soyun Park said...

@giddy,
It is exit.6 and you should see the big sign stright right after you get out of the exit. It is Shinchon derection. The phone number is 02-771-9771. If you need further help they will be able to assist you. As long as I know they open 7days a week. Good luck!

............. said...

What a beautiful store!!! I hate to it but I have not been to a LYS in years. Lately my yarn comes from big name chain stores. I was a bit put off by LYS years back.

I worked at one, connected to a larger fabric and notion store in LA. My boss was an older woman who thought crocheters were no better then dirt. As a crocheter I was hired to help the crochet customers. My bosses attitude towards me and other crochers was not unique amongest other Los Angeles LYS. The sad part is I also knit, but there is just no way past the "oh you crochet" look I often recieve, as well as the cold shoulder. After that the damage is done.

I have since relocated and your blog post gives me hope that not all LYS are so snobbish. Perhaps now I will check out some of the stores near me.

Kate said...

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to stop and say how excited I was to find this post. I was wondering what kind of yarn/supplies Seoul will have, as we are moving there soon! A cafe on the second floor to enjoy coffee and crocheting? What a fabulous idea!

Soyun Park said...

Hi Kate,

Welcome to Korea~ Hope you enjoy Seoul and have a wonderful time! This shop offers lots of great yarns and supplies. I am sure you will enjoy tea and coffee on the 2nd floor. (those are open for everyone.)
If you want to explore more I am happy recommend DongDaeMum Markets since it is huge and you can find everything you need for stitching~ Check out my new posting. You will get excited about it. Hope you stop by and have some fun! http://www.atelierdesoyun.com/2014/10/hi-everyone.html